As cases for COVID-19 show no signs of relenting throughout the United States, many states have enacted austerity measures for quarantine, such as stay-at-home and shelter-in-place orders. However, as we’ve all seen too often, not all citizens have taken the recommendations seriously. Groups of people continue to defy the advice of health and government officials by packing parks and beaches. In addition to cracking down on crowds and gatherings, authorities are now imposing new domestic travel restrictions to help contain the spread of the coronavirus.
Need for COVID-19 Containment Leads to Stricter Quarantine
“On the national level,” CNN’s Madeline Holcombe reported, “the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention issued a travel advisory urging residents of New York, New Jersey and Connecticut to refrain immediately from non-essential travel for 14 days. It is up to those states to implement the advisory.”
“Meantime,” the article added, “states across the country -- some of which have already issued stay-at-home orders to residents -- are now creating measures to restrict the movement of visitors, too.”
The travel restrictions are additional precautions. To view a list of states that have imposed limited and comprehensive stay-at-home mandates, refer to our map, which is updated daily.
States with Domestic Travel Restrictions
- Travel is limited to supporting critical infrastructure or personal needs.
- Travel between communities is also prohibited.
- Restrictions apply to residents, workers, and visitors.
- Travelers are subject to automatic quarantine or isolation.
- Travelers entering Delaware from other states are required to self-quarantine for 14 days under the governor’s orders.
- Travelers entering the state from New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Alabama, and Georgia are required to self-quarantine for 14 days.
- All visitors are required to self-quarantine for 14 days.
- All residents traveling between islands are required to self-quarantine for 14 days.
- Visitors are asked to postpone trips to Hawaii for the next 30 days.
- Travelers from Colorado and Louisiana must quarantine upon arriving in the state.
- Kansas has also placed quarantine mandates on visitors from Florida, Washington, California, New York, New Jersey, and Illinois.
- The state’s governor has banned travel to other states.
- Those returning to Kentucky must self-quarantine for 14 days.
- Travel exceptions include job-required travel, those who live on the border and need necessities, travel for health care reasons, travel to care for a loved one, and court orders.
As Holcombe explained in her article, “Among a series of new actions including limiting gatherings to 10 people and ordering closures of shopping malls, Gov. Larry Hogan said that access to the BWI Marshall Airport terminal would be restricted and residents were urged to use transit for essential travel only.”
- All travelers to Massachusetts are required to self-quarantine for 14 days.
- Visitors are instructed to avoid traveling to the state if they are ill or exhibiting symptoms associated with COVID-19.
- Travel exceptions include heath care workers, public health workers, public safety workers, transportation workers and designated essential workers.
- Anyone entering the state must self-quarantine for 14 days.
- The rule applies to all visitors, even those with no symptoms of the coronavirus.
- The advisory does not apply to essential workers such as health care and food suppliers.
- All casinos in Las Vegas have been closed.
- All travelers from states and international locations with widespread coronavirus outbreaks must immediately quarantine for 14 days.
- Essential infrastructure workers are exempt from the ban.
- Travelers from New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, California, Louisiana, and Washington must undergo a 14-day mandatory quarantine.
- Delivery personnel must submit to screenings upon request at health facilities.
- The order protects health care workers from discrimination in housing and childcare.
- All out-of-state travelers will be stopped at the border and instructed to quarantine for 14 days if they intend to stay in the state.
- Travelers from New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, California, and the city of New Orleans will be ordered to self-isolate for 14 days or the duration of their trip.
- The order exempts airline employees, military personnel or those assisting them, health care professionals, and emergency response teams.
- People flying into the state from New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Washington, and California must self-quarantine for 14 days.
- People flying into the state from the cities of Miami, Detroit, Chicago, Atlanta, and New Orleans must self-quarantine for 14 days.
- Travelers driving into Texas from Louisiana must also self-quarantine for 14 days.
- Anyone who enters Vermont from another state must self-quarantine for 14 days.
- All out-of-state visitors must self-quarantine for 14 days.
- Police will be monitoring state roads and highways to enforce the executive order issued by Gov. Jim Justice.
- The order originated to curb the potential spread by people traveling from Louisiana, New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Italy, and China.
A North Carolina County Imposes Strict Order
One county in North Carolina has adopted extreme measures to prevent the spread of coronavirus within its community, as Holcombe noted: “Since March 17, only permanent residents with proper identification -- including a permanent resident entry permit -- have been allowed to enter Dare County. The county has established checkpoints around the county to stop visitors and non-resident property owners from entering the summer vacation area.”
We’re Here to Help
Oloop Technology Solutions is committed to the safety, health, and wellbeing of our workers, customers, and communities. We will continue to post regular updates. For further information and resources, we welcome you to check out our COVID-19 Resource Portal.