Large AI language models like ChatGPT have quickly become ingrained into society. With their wide accessibility, ease of use, and intuitive functionality, more people outside the tech space are using them every day. They’re no longer reserved for coding or data analysis. People regularly use them to get answers, find recipes, plan vacations, and much more. What does this have to do with travel nursing? Well, with every staffing agency offering tips for travelers, we decided to do something different by demonstrating how they can use AI to make their journeys even easier, including finding housing within seconds.
Travel Nursing: Exciting Times but a Little Stress
Travel nursing presents healthcare professionals with exciting opportunities. But despite the exhilaration that comes with embarking on a new adventure, the journey can also be a bit daunting. Naturally, staffing agencies try to ease this process by providing helpful tips to travelers — and the advice they offer doesn’t veer much from one firm to another. There’s nothing wrong with that. Good recommendations and useful insights don’t need to be unique. But we wanted to show travelers how new tools like ChatGPT or Google Bard can enhance and optimize their adventures.
Examples of Standard Travel Nursing Tips
Before we dive into the benefits of AI, let’s go over just a few common bits of collected wisdom and best practices for travelers to then illustrate how AI can enhance these processes.
- Do your research: Before you even set foot in your new location, do some research to learn more about the area. Check out the local newspaper, browse community groups on social media, and read up on the city's history and culture. This will give you a better sense of what to expect and help you feel more comfortable when you arrive.
- Take care of yourself: Travel nursing can be physically and emotionally demanding. Make sure you're taking care of yourself by getting enough sleep, eating healthy, and staying active. Take advantage of any wellness resources offered by your staffing agency or the healthcare facility, such as gym memberships or counseling services.
- Stay organized: As a travel nurse, you'll be responsible for keeping track of your schedule, assignments, and paperwork. Stay organized by using a planner or digital calendar to keep track of important dates and deadlines. Make sure you have all the necessary licenses and certifications for your assignment and keep them in a safe and accessible place.
- Ask questions: Don't be afraid to ask questions! Whether it's about hospital policies or local attractions, asking for information is the best way to learn and grow. Remember, everyone was new at some point, and your colleagues and supervisors will likely be happy to help you get settled in.
- Embrace the local culture: One of the best parts of travel nursing is getting to experience new cultures and ways of life. Embrace the local culture by trying new foods, exploring local attractions, and getting involved in community events. Not only will this make your experience more enjoyable, but it will also give you a deeper understanding of the community you're serving.
- Find a place to live: This is one of the most important things you need to do when you're moving to a new city. Do some research online to find a place that's within your budget and that's in a safe neighborhood. If you can, try to find a place that's close to your work.
Other Important Tips
Here are some additional tips focused on wellness, safety, and peace of mind.
- Learn the local bus or train system. This can be a great way to get around without having to drive.
- Find a gym or fitness center. This is a great way to stay active and meet new people.
- Join a local club or organization. This is a great way to get involved in your community and meet new people.
- Protect your data. We wrote about the importance of cybersecurity at length a few months ago. Although it’s not a topic travel nurses routinely hear about, it’s definitely critical in today’s digital society. Protecting your information and taking preventative steps to guard against hacking or identity theft are essential measures when exploring new frontiers.
These additional tips provide a solid jumping-off point to discuss AI. I’ll explain. Telling travelers to learn the local transit systems, find lodgings, or locate a fitness club all sound simple enough on the surface. But actually doing those things takes effort, time, and research.
- Poring over bus routes and train schedules isn’t that straightforward if you’ve ever tried to make sense of a city’s transportation site.
- There are a lot of gyms around most areas, but which are the best for you and on a temporary basis?
- Looking for a place to stay? Going through rental listings can easily suck up hours of your day. And who knows what the condition of those lodgings and neighborhoods are really like in some touched up photos and descriptions written by salespeople?
The good news is that AI bots like ChatGPT can expedite all of this research in seconds. So let’s explore the ways travel nurses can make the most of the AI platforms everyone has been talking about.
How Travel Nurses Can Use AI and GPT
Overall Uses and Benefits
Ai-based language models are trained on vast amounts of data, and they can provide travel nurses with a wealth of information and insights related to their work and travel experiences. Here are some ways travel nurses can use GPT platforms to their advantage.
- Ask questions: Travel nurses can ask any questions they have about their assignment, from the local area to the healthcare facility they'll be working in. These chatbots can provide information about local attractions, transportation options, and other important details.
- Get advice: Travel nurses can use GPT to get advice on a variety of topics, from dealing with difficult patients to managing their finances while on the road. GPT chats can provide tips and strategies for navigating the challenges of travel nursing.
- Learn new skills: Systems like ChatGPT can provide travel nurses with access to educational resources and training materials. For example, ChatGPT can recommend online courses or webinars on topics like wound care or medication administration.
- Stay up-to-date: AI chat systems can help travel nurses stay informed about the latest developments in healthcare and travel nursing. Because they have access to medical journals, textbooks, and other resources, GPT systems can provide information about new treatments, research studies, or changes in healthcare policies or regulations.
- Research new locations: GPT tools can be used to research new cities and hospitals where travel nurses are considering working. They can provide information on the cost of living, the weather, the crime rates, and other factors that may be important to travel nurses.
- Prepare for new assignments: AI can be used to prepare for new assignments by providing information on the hospital's policies and procedures, the types of patients that the travel nurse will be working with, and the resources that are available to them.
- Connect with other travel nurses: GPTs like Google’s Bard can be used to connect with other travel nurses to share experiences, ask questions, and find support.
- Find support: Google’s Bard, unlike ChatGPT, has access to real-time information on the Internet, so it can find resources and support for travel nurses, such as housing, childcare, and financial assistance.
Maintaining good mental health and managing stress are essential to travel nurses. GPT can also offer benefits in these areas.
- Self-Care Tips: GPT tools can provide travelers with self-care tips and techniques to help improve their overall wellness. These might include things like mindfulness exercises, meditation techniques, breathing exercises, and relaxation techniques.
- Tracking progress: A system such as Google’s Bard can help travelers track their progress towards wellness goals, such as losing weight, exercising more, or getting more sleep.
- Motivation: GPT systems can motivate people to stay on track with their wellness goals by providing encouragement and support. They can also connect travelers with other users who are also working on their wellness goals, which can provide additional support and motivation.
Instant Housing Assistance
One of the most important yet challenging tasks for travelers is locating housing in preparation for their assignments. Most staffing agencies have lists, but they’re not always updated in real time. And combing through listings on the Internet can be exhausting. Fortunately, GPT systems take all the time and effort off of your shoulders. The following example is a real query we entered into Google’s Bard. The results were returned in less than 20 seconds and speak for themselves.
“Show me the best houses to rent for a family of 4 within 10 miles of Kaiser in San Pedro, California. The rental period will be 90 days and should be within the budget of someone earning $2,000 a week.”
Here are some of the best houses to rent for a family of 4 within 10 miles of Kaiser in San Pedro, California. The rental period will be 90 days and should be within the budget of someone earning $2,000 a week.
3 Bedroom, 2 Bath House in San Pedro
This house is located in a quiet neighborhood in San Pedro, just a short walk from Kaiser. It has 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms, perfect for a family of 4. The house is also pet-friendly, so you can bring your furry friends along. The rent is $2,500 per month, which is within your budget.
4 Bedroom, 2 Bath House in Harbor City
This house is located in a family-friendly neighborhood in Harbor City, just a few miles from Kaiser. It has 4 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms, plenty of space for everyone. The house also has a backyard, so you can enjoy the outdoors. The rent is $3,000 per month, which is still within your budget.
3 Bedroom, 2 Bath Townhome in Wilmington
This townhome is located in a convenient location in Wilmington, just a short drive from Kaiser. It has 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms, perfect for a family of 4. The townhome also has a garage, so you can park your car. The rent is $2,750 per month, which is within your budget.
3 Bedroom, 2 Bath Apartment in Harbor City
This apartment is located in a quiet neighborhood in Harbor City, just a short walk from Kaiser. It has 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms, perfect for a family of 4. The apartment also has a balcony, so you can enjoy the outdoors. The rent is $2,400 per month, which is within your budget.
New Tools for New Travel Assignments
GPT systems have opened a lot of doors for productivity. Staffing agencies would also do well to incorporate their features to help recruiters better support and empower their travelers. But these AI bots are also incredible “personal assistants” that can improve the relocation experience for any travel healthcare professional. GPT tools can be accessed 24/7, making them a convenient resource for travel nurses who may be working odd hours or in different time zones. Overall, AI has great potential to become a valuable part of traveling, providing nurses and allied healthcare talent with information, advice, and support to help them succeed in their assignments.
Photo by Volodymyr Hryshchenko on Unsplash